Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Down The Sugarcane Island Called "Home"


Reposting this piece from my FB note. =)
_____________________________________________________________



It's 12:15 PM. In my face is an old square called "monitor" that was the hip of the town six years ago. Awww, my personal computer now turned into an off white, errr, brownish color. It was aged, and for me, the best flagship of the time that has elapsed...

As I entered the door that welcomed me everyday for the past 20 years or so, I thought that yes, so many things have seasoned with time. Our house has gradually changed, the furnitures lurking up the floors are quite new in my eyes, my Manang Peng has now dominant white hairs, Clesh is a very adorable kid that at less than two years old, she can already utter words like plane, car, lolo, mama, etc. and can massacre a handful of noodles in her mouth with bare hands, Sace is already in her white and blue uniform pulling out her big bag to her school service - almost everything changed.

Changes. Yet, in the midst of these growing times, I am here finding that sense of belonging in our little home!

The once 100 php internet connection which you have to repeatedly dial because it disconnects now nd then was finally laid to rest and this Globe broadband was born, giving me a surf all you want mode! This same computer where I went gaga over MIRC is now replaced by Twitter's and Facebook's more exciting features. Ah, this same old computer!

In my quest for a nap, I can't help but feel a familiar warmth in my bed. The same bed where I cried for those young and funny love i had, and now gives me peace and excitement while waiting for Levy's next day visit. Ah, this same old bed!

My dad excitedly ask me to join him for lunch even though my back does not want to separate from the soft and comfortable foam. But i know I need to move my ass. I shared a big lunch with him in our old old dining table. Once I chose to have toyo(patis in ilonggo)-suka-bawang as my sawsawan, but now i adapted that toyo-calamnsi tandem. Same old traditional viand, different sawsawan! The table was exact place where he scolded me about my attitude towards school and telling me to take up Accountancy. Just this lunch, we had that usual talk too, but this time it was him giving me enlightenment and encouragement towards work issues and my profession. Ah, this same old table!

When we decided to take a small walk after a sumptuous meal, I heard one girl waving and uttering "trisikol" when she was trying to get the attention of the driver. I smiled, knowing how i would pronounce the same word as well then. Now, due to Manila's scrutiny, i am used to calling it "trisikel". Kol then, kel now. Yet, those two pronunciation refers to that same old mode of going out of the subdivision, the trayk. =) Ah, that same old three-wheeled transpo and very same street i paved my way many many years back!

Whoever coined the saying, "there's no place like home" was feeling the same thing as what i do now. That I am pretty sure of. =) Time might be very lazy doing his work and quietness may lead me to boredom in the next day or two, but now, just now - I am enjoying a life I had five years ago! Simpler things makes me laugh my heart out, personal talks with my family give me home once again, and best of all, finding the old me helps me pick up the pieces of my life once more. =)

Waswas bugsay Talisay!

No comments: