Monday, September 28, 2009

Typhoon Ondoy: A Call for Filipinos Abroad

I have never been this affected as to concerns regarding national issues as I have long conceded to the lousy drama of Philippine government. But this unexpected event moved me to at least extend a little help to others. Why would I? It was simple. Metro Manila is the place where I already call my second home and the place where I have created lots of friends. The place where I exactly stay.

It is a different feeling when you know that the calamity is within your reach, that anytime soon, it may hit your area. It is a very disturbing feeling getting text messages and calls from people whom you know are experiencing the real deal of the situation and… more so, knowing that your friends abroad are wrapped with anxiety because they cannot reach their family members.

What if my place was deliberately hit by the angry flood? What if I was out, stuck in the middle of the streets battling with the raging water? What if this happens to Negros and I have no means of knowing how my family is doing?

Strong as I may seem, but I doubt if I can fathom the pain

These, my friends, are the clear reasons why I am going an extra mile to help out. Selfish as I am for only realizing this one now, I guess it's not yet too late for me, for all of us. =)

Let us help, and since you guys are the ones who could maybe shell out more, I am encouraging you to help! Your wider network will really help a lot! I pinned the websites where you can send in your online donations.In any case that you know a faster and easier way, please let me know so that we can spread the news. :)

And as a real-deal update, majority of the Filipinos are helping out each other without the help of the government! I went to one of the dropoff points here in Makati and I was overwelmed to see that people are really working hand in hand, rich and not-so-rich, Filipinos and foreigners! So let's keep praying!
Thank you thank you very much! And if you already did, a double thanks!!! Go go go!

No comments: